Tuesday, August 30, 2005

"So tell me about your life..."



There were two things I REALLY liked about Unless, a novel by Carol Shields.
There was Reta Winters' daughter, Nora, who drops out of college to live on the streets of Toronto with a sign which had the word Goodness hand lettered hanging around her neck.

I wanted to know more about Nora's life, what's it like to live on the streets and devote your life to Goodness? What did she think about all day long? What was goodness like in her life? Did she find it? Did she embody it?

The book also has a pedantic, New York literary editor character who seemed to never listen to others, never lets anyone get a word in edgewise, who suddenly for some unknowable reason asks another character to tell him about their life.

"So tell me about your life..."

I really liked that. I could imagine asking all sorts of people to tell me about their life. Couldn't you?

"So tell me about your life..."

No comments: