Monday, February 26, 2007

More fun and some amazing links.

Have I mentioned lately how much fun photoshop is? Well it's great! Got my years worth of Photoshop Creative eMag on a disk and what will unfold from it? Just wait and see. These two images are altered from images sent to me in emails, so I figure who ever took them originally might not mind too much if I play with them, since they've probably been gifted to lots of other folks in-boxes as well.
Feb. 24 Artella's Link Latte was for Stefan G. Bucher's time lapse video of his daily monster. He creates monsters with black ink and pens and records them. Or at least he did, because yesterday was #100 and I think that's it. Well I wandered around his marvelous website and here's what I found. If you go to the first monster you will find a pdf version of a beautiful book, full of ... yes... monsters. Then wander back to the 100th monster and you can hear him reading the book to his friend's son, Arthur. What fun! You can go deeper into the realms of Stefan G. Bucher and discover more things. Here's his description of heaven:

To me, heaven is a kind of oneness with the universe.
A repositioning of the ego from focal point of worries and neuroses to thankful (graceful?) observer and conduit of beauty.
...Here's what I'm talking about: Most of the time I run around worrying about this and that, trying to figure things out, making stuff happen. But then, occasionally, there are moments when all that goes away and I just marvel at a cloud pattern or a piece of music. At that moment I became important only as being there to experience something wonderful. There is no other obligation.
So I think of heaven less as a place I might qualify for when I die, but as a state of existence parallel to my everyday life that I get to tap into every now and then. As I become more aware of what opens me up to the transition, I hope to spend more of my time there.
Now isn't that exquisite and graceful?

For more on oneness with the universe see the video of Bob Randall, an Yankunytjatjara Elder and traditional owner of Uluru (Ayers Rock). Bob is one of the stolen generation of the Aboriginal people, taken from his family at the age of seven. This video clip is a delight. I think he taps into Stefan's parallel existence every day, every moment.

Want one more? OK, check out Life as Art Practice at Momentarium.org.
(And don't you love the idea of Life as Art Practice?)
"Each moment of the everyday, every action of living, poses the question: how it might be lived differently, more truthfully and respectfully" is a quote I found there.

What I also found was a series of videos about interactive, daily, creative activities in urban environments featuring "artist-in-service" Markuz Wernli Saitô.
He followed his schedule in the rain or in the sun. Every day, free of charge.

It was an effort to "ignite our streamlined, hyper-functional lives with meaningful encounters and fresh discoveries."

On Mondays Markuz had his outdoor Mobile Tea Ceremony, a simplified version of traditional Japanese hospitality in unusual settings.

Tuesdays were Markuz's "I Love Trash Days." He helped communities express gratitude towards "a service we take for much too granted." He helped them create thank you notes for their trash bags addressed to the heros of the day: Our Garbage Men.

On Wednesday Markuz offered City Canal Tours, where you could explore the canals of Kyoto and discover a whole new perspective, many surprises, and wet feet guaranteed.

On Thursdays Markuz created Coin Mosaics and infused new meaning and a decorative difference in very sterile surroundings.

On Fridays Tree Guarding was the activity. Markuz encouraged a new appreciation for the trees on Kyoto's speediest and grayest street. With his help people discovered how trees are living observers of urban development and human activity.

Markuz spent some time on Saturdays Bridge Sitting. He encouraged the residents of Kyoto to look at every bridge is a stage in the landscape inviting them to sit down and take in the scenery upstream.

On Sundays Markuz had Vending Machine Stories in which he created a culmination point where the folks of Kyoto could meet the artist-in-service, hear the latest episodes of the preceeding week and ask the artist tough questions. This is story time.

To see the video clips of these interactive community art projects, please click here.

Now isn't that lovely?

2 comments:

jaihn said...

Phwoharrr, I thought, when I clicked the e-mag link. The Phwoharrr again as I read further.
A grand spread of a post to which I will return, to nibble and savour, here and there.
Thank you for these fine gatherings! xxx

Lani Gerity said...

You are most welcome jaihn!