Sunday, September 07, 2008

Dear Lani

A page from my art journal, practicing my SuziBlu girl.
I got this note in my in-box the other day, and once again it seemed like a universal problem/challenge/issue, so I thought why not blog the answer. Here's the note:
Dear Lani,
I read your blog a lot and it seems like you are always working on something. How do you do it? How do you keep those fires of creativity burning? I guess I'm going through a bit of a slump at the moment and although I believe with my whole being that I NEED to make art, I just can't seem to get motivated.
Yours,
In-a-slump


And here's my answer:

Dear In-a-slump,

Actually, I do know about the cycles that we tend to go through, with times of greater and lesser creativity, and I have some ideas and links for you. The first idea is from Sally Turlington. She says when ever she hits one of those dry spells, she pulls out an envelope and decorates it all up and sends someone some mail art. You can read about that and other ideas of Sally's in my Zine 6 which you can download here.

Because I personally feel that we are better off, physically and mentally, when we do a little art every day, I have a morning practice of art journaling. I used to write morning pages after reading The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron but then gradually shifted into more art and less words. There are a lot of websites out there devoted to art journaling but my favorite is Teesha Moore's website.

A third thing that I have observed is that I can get a lot of inspiration from reading artist's blogs and there's a blog out there, The Altered Page, that introduces you to a lot of artists by survey and pictures. One entry dealt with the question of how to "get into your creative groove" and there were 25 separate answers to that question from 25 separate artists. Great ideas!!! But the whole blog is worth pursuing!

And of course you could sign up for the Artist's Happiness Challenge which starts on the 15th of September, and work on a couple of challenges a week for 12 weeks. Taking a class always gets me in a very creative mood!

Take heart. We never know what amazing adventures are just around the next corner.

Yours,
Lani

1 comment:

Patti said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG. And all the work you do, encouragement you provide, community and support. Please visit my blog when you get a chance and grab the award logo, if you wish; if not, know that I'm promoting your blog!

blessings,
patti