Thursday, December 11, 2008

Meaningful Gifts and Inspiration

My BFF Kim's wrapped doll, a sweet gift that came in the post a few days back. (Thank you Kim! And I sure wish I could be in Ohio when another BFF will be there with you!)

So I've been thinking about the best presents I could imagine giving or receiving and I came up with two pretty simple ideas. The first one would be gifts of inspiration which continues to grow and multiply. The second would be stress reduction or relaxation ... or maybe what I'm thinking of is peace! So starting with inspiration here's Kim's and my wrapped dolls with ArtFest Bunny, they are reminding me that always time to make art and to think about ArtFest.


Around the same time that Kim's wrapped doll showed up here in Nova Scotia, I got an email from Joy MacLeod (the originator of my particular branch or wrapped art doll, via Jhan Groom) that she's being featured on Barb Kobe's Healing Doll blog. So if you are interested in wrapped doll inspiration, pop over to Barb's blog. You can see what Joy is up to but there's lots of other inspiration there as well! I found a Jan Phillips video there, a must see for all artists!


Would you like more inspiration? Rachel Alban sent this great source into an art therapy eGroup the other day, and it is full of modern history and inspiration:
LIFE magazine recently digitized their photo archive. Its hosted on
google. Although, it is not the same experience as flipping and
tearing through magazines..... It is organized really well and is a
lot of fun to click through. Great resource.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life


Another great source for vintage visual imagery came from Carol Moore:

http://www.thevintagemoth.blogspot.com/
A wonderful resource for clip art.

She is also helping to raise money for the cancer society by clicking 
on the site.



And Adela sent me this link for YES magazine devoted to positive and eco-friendly type stories. Lots of inspiration here, especially the story about a sustainably happy and stress free Christmas with no presents. Read this if you are looking for gift ideas that are ecologically responsible and will reduce your own stress!

Now for that gift of relaxation and peace... I went to our library where I discovered Liz Wilde's The Busy Woman's Home Spa Book which is a delight to look through. There are lovely, soothing images, delicious sounding recipes and common sense ideas about making time for our own well being. Although this book now resides on my wishlist, I got to wondering how many websites are devoted to DIY Home Spas. Don't you think creating a spa at home would be about the most fabulous thing you could do for yourself?

I'll let you know the best of what I find but meanwhile here's a sample of Ian Hutson's (Toronto's Camden Spa) recipes for you:
Cornmeal and Yogurt Scrub
This mixture is great for cleansing and exfoliating. You’ll need:

* 1 tbs. Ground cornmeal
* 2 tbs. Natural yogurt

Mix the ingredients into a paste and gently rub into your skin. Start at your chin and work up to the cheeks and forehead in small circles. Rinse off. The cornmeal helps exfoliate and leave your skin refreshed and glowing!

Lemon Refresher Toner
The acidity of the lemon and lime act as a toner to tighten your skin and close your pores. You’ll need:

* 1 lemon or lime
* ½ tsp. Cold water

Mix the lemon or lime juice and the water in a bowl. Gently pat onto your face after cleansing and follow with your favourite moisturizer.

Avocado MaskMash the creamy insides of one avocado into a soft paste and apply to your face using the avocado pit to massage the paste into your skin using small, upward, circular motions. Leave on for a few minutes then wash off with warm water. Avocados are naturally rich in vitamin E and leave your skin feeling soft.


For more, visit http://www.wnetwork.com/articles/health_spiritT1.asp?id=204

Here's hoping your holiday season is peaceful, stress-free and full of meaningful gifts and inspiration!

5 comments:

dogfaeriex5 said...

does bunny like her new friend? relaxation is a bag full of your chocolate covered ginger that i carry in my purse daily!! thank you many times my friend...xoxox

Lani Gerity said...

Bunny is so very happy!
Thank you!!!

Judy said...

Happy holidays to you Lani
xox

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you Judy!

art and beautiful junk said...

I love the dolls. I used to make wire wrapped dolls into pins if I can find one I'll take a picture.
Have a Happy Holiday.
nancye