Wednesday, February 04, 2009

On-Going Guardian Angel Swap - No time limit

Guardian angel puppet by Lani for Carol, Michelle, and Dan. Background from nicholeV photography [life as art].
Do you ever feel as though you could use a guardian angel? I know I sure do. And I have a few friends going through a bit of a rough patch, and I was thinking how much fun it would be to send them some guardian angels, lots of them. But I'd love to send lots, and diverse angels, so why not make one and you and I'll trade. Then when I have a bunch I'll mail them out to my friends.

So here's the deal, make a Paper Puppet Angel, send it to me, and I'll send you one back. She'll be in her own artfully altered envelope with beautiful Canadian stamps. Does that sound like a fair swap? Then leave me a comment here with your email so I can send you my address and template for a paper puppet. You turn it into an angel. There's no due date. Just send when you can.

Want some inspiration? Look at Jhan Groom's Angel over on 14 Secrets.


Meanwhile I've been studying Photoshop "Actions" from Christy Hydeck's article in Cloth Paper Scissors. Wow, do I have some links for you!
Christy mentioned her new website in CPS, but it's not quite ready. However, her old website is just fine. Lots of treasure there! Look at My Favorite Things! So I started looking into "Actions" and Nicole V's website. Whew, so much to see and if you can afford one of her "Actions" you get some great tutorials so that her free "Actions" make sense. Whew, I know I'm going to have fun!
Then there's a lot of stuff out there that is FREE which is great. PSDFAN has a lot of tutorials and links to free things like textures and backgrounds. If you want to explore layers, grunge effects, actions, this is one of your places to go! TexturePacks.net has some beautiful textures and a few of them are free. But the ones that aren't free are certainly inspiring, and so far, there's no charge on inspiration!!! The two angels above have layers of free textures from the Texture Warehouse. Such fun!
So here's what I did with an art doll and Nicole V's website. Some "actions" were free and some were paid for, but mostly they were all FUN!

20 comments:

Mental Meanderings said...

Lani!! She is fabulous! Is there no end to your creative magnifisence???

Lani Gerity said...

Why thank you so much!

Patti said...

I have never made a puppet before, or an angel for that matter, but it looks like a fabulous thing to do. And I know a few who could use a guardian angel. Do you have any basic construction info, i.e., what is the base, and do you build layers for the wings, outer dress, etc.?
take care!

Stacy Alexander said...

Please count me in for the swap. Sounds fun...and is a great idea.

Still a big fan of your blog. Thank you for everything you do.

Stacy

Erika C. said...

Yes, Definitely count me in! I would love to do this. I will send you an angel if you send me your address. I am so grateful for finding your website. I have not been exercising my art creative muscle lately. It has been all about music and writing lately. It is so good to get back into it.
DO you have any inspiring valentines day ideas too?
love,
ERika

katiedidit said...

I would love to join in. Are you creating actual paper angels or digital art?

Lani Gerity said...

Hi Katiedidit, Erika, Stacy, and Patti, Yes this will be a reality, postal art swap. And rather than paper, the base should be fairly stiff, like card stock. Then you can layer paper, feathers, sequins, beads, anything at all. I sent Patti a paper puppet template for a girl which can be adjusted very easily to make an angel. If you'd like a template and address let me know at lanipuppetmaker(at)mac(dot)com

Gena said...

So busy right now, I am still going to try to swap you though. I love angels and dolls and puppets...

Lore said...

I would love to make you a guardian angel!
when is the deadline?
Lore

Lani Gerity said...

There is no deadline.
Send me one when you make it and I'll send you one in return!

pattie said...

Lani...
Give me more details...but I would love to do this....
pat1999@frontiernet.net
Artfully Yours,
Pattie

paper-n-soul said...

Lani, love this idea... and she is fabulous. Please count me in.

Deb from 14 Secrets

soultripping at gmail dot com

Summer Gypsy said...

Hi Lani,
Your blog is so artful!
I need a guardian angel, so count me in!!!
xoxo
Marilyn

Artastics said...

How interesting to create a business offering textured backgrounds. The flexibility available to artists through the net are awesome!

Lani, your wealth of resources is so impressive. I have learned so much from you and so generous with your gifts!

I wish you many winds of gentle art..you are an Angel!

Jan

Lani Gerity said...

Why thank you Jan!

chrysti said...

My new site is a pain in my behind -- but within the next week and a half, i'll be putting up the links, and extras for the articles -- proobably on my blog til the new site is ready.

I also have a ton of free texture son flickr -- link is on my blog. SO nice to see folks having fun with it!

I'll put up links to other reliable actions too!

Lani Gerity said...

Sorry it's a pain in your behind but it's going to be SO worth it!

Thanks for all you do!

ArtisticMoods said...

YES YES YES, i needed this! love angels and was just going to create something simular, so i would love to be included in the swap! thanks Lani! Janelle
email: danaseas@yahoo.com

merrellee said...

I could use a guardian angel so lets trade. Merrellee@hotmail.com

Erika C. said...

Dear Lani,

Guess what? I finally made the angel to send you but somehow I didn't really read your directions and I made the angel 3-D with sort of a puppet body so it is bigger than you asked for. I hope that is OK.

I think it was because it has been such a while since I looked at your description of what you were looking for and today I just decided I had to make it.

Oh, well. THis one will be different. I took a picture of it and put it on my blog.

Also, I don't have your address any more.

Hope you have a great trip and looking forward to hearing from you!

love,
Erika