Saturday, May 23, 2009

Treasure from my Taiwanese childhood.

I've been studying Judy Wilkenfeld's Guo-Guo, a "visual anthology"TM, as well as Nina Baley's "Destination: Journey" and I was thinking that it would be really good to do something with the treasures of my childhood, so that they could tell a story, or at the very least, they could come out and play in an art piece.
So I tried covering a box with some interesting tribal cloth scored from a local Frenchy's...


And began adding some odds and ends. I found this great star fish in Port Townsend during Artfest and button/closure piece from Lynn Davis on Etsy (she's got some really cool stuff happening all the time).

While struggling with my box and its contents, suddenly a box from my childhood friend Kiki turns up on my doorstep. WOW! So now I'm thinking about switching boxes, redoing the cloth one... hmmmm... so many possibilities!
Here's a little bit of the contents from Kiki's box. As kids we would spend many Saturdays, as best as I can remember, eating dumplings with hot and sour soup and exploring pawn shops and old junk shops looking for snuff bottles and other mysteries.
Thank you Kiki! I love all of it but this little stone monkey is probably my favorite piece, expressing my childhood experience as a foreign ghost so well. Mischievous and playful, with a big grin. What fun.

8 comments:

Bill C. said...

Lani, your new header picture is just wonderful! It is so full of life. I love the dog and the colors.

I really enjoyed this post about childhood treasures. I love the monkey! Monkeys are one of my favorite animals. May I grab the picture of the monkey to use in a piece of art? It even makes me want to write a story.

Bill

Lani Gerity said...

Thanks for the great comment and go right ahead and use the monkey. I use Creative Commons rather than copyright, so you are free to use my stuff to create your stuff, just give me credit and or show me what amazing things emerge.

Lani Gerity said...

PS - The dog is Prospero one of the Bergamasco Boys that live with us.

dogfaeriex5 said...

lan~
what an exciting box to get in the mail...love all the goodies inside, takes my breath away!
much like your bff surprises you send me...
xoxo

Lani Gerity said...

It would be a miracle if I could ever get together a whole box of treasure that reminded you of all the best parts of your childhood...

Wow, that would be great if we could just do that for folks! What an idea for an exchange...
Hmmm.

Erika C. said...

Hi Lani. I just passed along a creative blogger award to you. Come pick it up at my site. If you could give a link to my site that would be great and then you can pass the award along to five more bloggers if you want.

love,
Erika

Judy said...

Lani,
How amazing.
How Serendiptous.
You are meant to do this piece now.
Why else would the box turn up now!
It is so exciting - I am jumping our of my skin here, on your behalf.
You have to use the box from your friend. I cannot wait to see what you do with this piece.
xox

Lani Gerity said...

Oh yes!
My grandparents met in China and I have some photos from a long time ago. I'm studying your creation of the spine for the old photo album, visual anthology "Seeking Sara"! What a fantastic job! So I'm thinking that I should do something similar but with an "Old China Hand" feel to it. Hmmmm. You get a person thinking!