Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Disintegration and Transformation

Here's my "transformed disintegration" book, a part of Seth's marvelous Disintegration Project. The original bundle of papers and books (including Wreck This Journal) looked like this in February, with seaweed and snow.


Then I released the bundle from its pile of snow and seaweed and found it beautiful in a slightly horrific way. So once the paper was dry and every last sow bug had left the bundle, many of the pages seemed to need to become a book.


Close up of the seaweed, feather, starfish, shells, driftwood, twine (from original bundle) & large mammalian molar mostly pulled up from the harbor:


I had wanted to create a photo album/art journal where I could play with the ideas of disintegration, transformation, and home. So here is an old family photo of my Aunt Doris and Uncle Wibur (missionary kids in China):

My Aunt Doris:

And that's it for the moment. More to follow as I continue to work these old family photos into the Treasure from My Taiwanese Childhood project.

I am sure enjoying the process. Once again thank you Seth!

30 comments:

alteredbits said...

this is fabulous!! i just love it, lani! you did a tremendous job!! i need to get crackin' on mine now. :)

xx
alicia

jaihn said...

Oooh I remember the sowbug times!
How much loveliness you have brought forth from then...
Beauty~Full.
Thankyou for sweet words at mine, too.
xxx

Sharon said...

What a treasure you are creating!

La Dolce Vita said...

I just love your book....bound with the wood and encrusted with shells, it is so visually chewy! just fabulous Lani! caterina

DymphieM said...

gorgeuos work, love the idea of making a photo album.

Nikki Lee Anne Ghilain said...

Had to come by again.....just amazing!

Karin Bartimole said...

What a great idea for your disintegration project! It turned out beautifully - I'm sure it will be treasured for a very long time,
Karin

Gail P said...

yummy! Mother Nature sure gifted you. The album is glowing with possibilities

Corrine said...

Fantastic. It looks like a wonderful book

Ontheroad said...

Fabulous work.

deb said...

I love the adorable elephant image...

Coastcard said...

You must be so pleased with this. Greetings from Wales, UK. Love the elephant!

Lawendula said...

I love these nature things on it!
Great work!

lynne h said...

this is so very, very wonderful!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm in awe of your creativity. This book is just wonderful. Bless Seth for pointing me to your blog.

Pattio said...

What an awesome book. Enjoy working in it!

Cheers

Studio Sylvia said...

History in the photos, history in the making of the album - tide and time in both.
Beautiful.

BT said...

What a wonderful idea, a photo album and how beautiful it is. Such a lovely, growing piece.

Renee Howell said...

Wow - I wish there was a way to physically touch your book. Love the photos. so creative and I love thay you have more plans for this art project.

Julie Prichard said...

COOL!!

rachel whetzel said...

So beautiful!! I love your bits from the sea... It was wonderful taking this journey with so many talented people!!

Lisa Sarsfield said...

What a precious book you have ended up with! I love that you want to use it to record your thoughts and ideas around decay and the 'after life'.

Thanks for you visit and for playing LUCKY DIP!

ArtPropelled said...

Fantastic images, Lani. They make my creative muse happy.

Bea said...

Wow....I wish I could say more but I'm still sitting here with my mouth hanging open at what a wonderful piece you created out of all of that. Wowser :)Bea
//dog-in-the-hole-studio.blogspot.com//

Wayne Pitchko said...

love what you have created... on the east coast

herminesplace said...

Fantastic!

Kim said...

What a fabulous piece. Love the disintegration you achieved and where you have taken it!

Seth said...

This is perfect!! I love how it looks and love the fact that you will continue to use it to explore disintegration. That is a great idea!! Thanks a million for being a part of this collaboration!!

diane said...

Looks like the beginning of a fabulous journey.
The old photos of your aunts and uncle are wonderful.
I find myself picking up old cabinet cards with children these days. They have the most beautiful and innocent look on their faces......

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

all around fantastic and inspiring!