Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Altered art, altered emotion

Today's images are from Susan Tuttle's amazing course "Visual Poetry" .

Carol sent me a link for Kathryn Antyr's wonderful website and an art prompt found there. This prompt really got me thinking. It is about how we can get what ever stressful emotions that might be bottled up inside and put them into our journals or in this case, into some altered bottles. Kathryn gives Sharon Soneff credit for this idea which she found in "Art Journals and Creative Healing - Restoring the Spirit through Self-Expression." Since it's all about altering things I would like to alter this prompt a bit. I created my altered glass bottles with interesting labels like various emotions, dreams, hopes, wishes. And I left the tops off, that way I can place what ever I like into the bottle and forget about it. For me, it's a better idea metaphorically if if I am working with and trying to release troubling emotion to not re-bottle it. There's folk wisdom that I tend to agree with, "What we resist persists" so I'll keep my altered bottles free of any corks or tops. Turning a difficult emotion into a work of art (altered or otherwise) which I actually like, may be what I would aim for in response to this prompt. Do you want an example? See below.

Vintage image altered by Lani

I may have been feeling a little worried about something when I selected this photo to play with and by the time I was finished with my alterations I was very happy with the image AND in a completely different mood.

4 comments:

Bill C. said...

I don't know if I have ever told you how much I love your blog. Your pictures are always intriguing, and your posts inspiring. I ordered the book you mentioned above. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can begin reading it! I loved your courses about healing. But as difficult as life often is, those troubling emotions sure keep getting in the way. Hmm. That just made me think I should go create a picture with my hero in it. That always made me happy. :O)

Lani Gerity said...

Hi Bill, and thanks so much for your kind words! Yes, life can surely be difficult. It's beginning to dawn on me that we do add an enormous layer of difficulty when we fight with reality. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll have to make a new post, eh?

Bea said...

I love the idea of keeping the lids and corks out of the tops of the bottles. I like the idea of light and energy changing what may have been put in the bottle into something else.
Control, fear, expectations are the rockers of the boat for most of us. Letting go of those takes time and energy but it is so worth while, isn't it? :)Bea

Lani Gerity said...

Yes, indeed, Bea, yes, indeed!