Friday, December 18, 2009

Gretchen's Rev O' Lution

Over on Creativity in Motion, Gretchen's highly creative, delightful blog, there's a revolution brewing. Instead of coming up with a list of new years resolutions, last year she had a list of qualities which she wanted to reflect on and attract more of in the new year. So now she's looking over that list and thinking about what she has learned in the past year. So I'm thinking I need to create a Rev O' Lution for myself. What qualities would I like to create more of in my life and what art work would I pair up with that?

Altered photo by Lani

Friendship - I'd like to learn more about friendship. I'd like to study what it takes to be a good friend to others and to myself. I suspect loving kindness and gentleness and goodness might be qualities that are related to friendship.

Stillness Collage by Lani

Stillness - I'd love to learn more about stillness, that quiet centering that helps us be here now, that helps us appreciate this moment right now. It's the stillness that allows what is to be, and in that stillness we find flow. Peace, flow, and a quiet joy are qualities connected to stillness.

Simplicity by Lani

Simplicity - I'd really like to learn more about simplicity and how to live a sustainable life. I have a feeling that simplicity and sustainability are deeply connected. What has struck me most about this past year is how the more complex things get, the more rushed and pressured I feel; and of course then I am more likely to react mindlessly rather than act with awareness. So paying more attention to simplicity should be a good antidote to rushing and pressure.

In keeping with the quality of simplicity, I think I will leave it at these three qualities. I think by approaching these qualities with interest and wanting to learn more, they should grow in my attention and experience.

Collage by Lani

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. "
~ Helen Keller

4 comments:

Patti said...

what a lovely post, Lani, thought provoking (per usual:) and reflective. hope you are enjoying the season.
hugs

Lani Gerity said...

Why thank you Patti, and I hope you are enjoying the season as well!
Hugs to you too!

Seth said...

Such a meaningful and beautiful post. I like the idea behind it and the way you illuminated your thoughts is just captivating!

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you Seth!