Thursday, December 03, 2009

More links, inspiration, & ideas!

"Psychosynthesis Exercise: Evocative Words" Collage by Lani

One of the most enjoyable and evocative art experiences I had in Dallas was Simone Alter-Muri's art-making workshop using concepts from positive psychologists like Martin E.P. Seligman and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi as well as Roberto Assagioli's principles of Psychosynthesis. We worked with matchboxes and glass globs, collage materials and evocative words from one of the many psychosynthesis web sites. Three short lectures on positive psychology filled our minds with good intellectual fare and the generous art materials and lists of words evoked a lot of very positive objects that we could use as personal reminders of (as Simone put it) "...hope, enjoyment, and trust ...the very conditions that allow us to go on living." What a generous workshop!

Here's my little matchbox and here's a list of evocative words which I will keep in my little box.
APPRECIATION BEAUTY BLISS CALM COMPASSION COMPREHENSION COOPERATION COURAGE CREATIVITY ENERGY ENTHUSIASM FAITH FORGIVENESS FREEDOM FRIENDSHIP GENEROSITY GOODNESS GOODWILL GRATITUDE HARMONY INCLUSIVENESS INFINITY JOY LIGHT LOVE PATIENCE PEACE QUIET RENEWAL SERENITY SERVICE SILENCE SIMPLICITY UNDERSTANDING VITALITY WELLNESS WHOLENESS WISDOM WONDER

My sweet friend Nicole Brandstrup sent me a great link today, to Dirty Footprints Studio where Connie Hozvicka plays and inspires. Here's her definition of a Creative Juicy Life:
Dreaming in full color.
Breathing deep and feeling alive.
Laughing so loud it scatters all fear.
Loving so large there is no room for doubt.
Creating each day into your best one yet.

It fits right in with where I seem to be at the moment, with the whole positive psychology and art theme going on here. So I explored a bit. She's got some wonderful interviews, podcasts, links and a terrific question or perhaps it's two questions. What does living a Creative Juicy Life look and feel like to you? or "What makes your life CREATIVE?" and "What makes your life JUICY?"

I like nothing better than giving some thought to these questions so of course I answered them:

What makes my life creative today is having my own art room and creative space and time to play with images, ideas, and 3-D stuff. Having the freedom to play, really. That's what makes my life creative.

What makes my life juicy and rich in ideas and images is being able to connect to other artists and all their juiciness so easily! Using the internet for a great big art museum/artist's cafe/gallery is really key to having an artistically juicy life.

Thanks for asking this delightful question!
Try any of the above links, inspiration, and ideas. Try answering the question "What does living a Creative Juicy Life look and feel like to you?" and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

barbarasaintjacques said...

So enjoyed your writings and information about positive psychology and Simone's workshop. It is a boon to visit your blog and find an array of things to "mull over in my mind". Thank you Lani. and, there is nothing like "dreaming in full color!"