Saturday, January 09, 2010

Art Journaling; Every Day Art

January 9 digital journal page by Lani with digital elements from here.

So it's January and for those of you looking for some inspiration to do a little art every day, and to keep it simple but inspiring, I always think that visual journaling is the way to go. You can keep a little moleskin book with you when you are traveling or you can make one of your own. There are so many inspiring artists with wonderful tutorials on youtube. Just type in art journal in your youtube search box and see what it comes up with. There are classes, books and magazines all devoted to the art journal, all eager to share their inspiration. So how to choose?
Check the websites and blogs!

Tangie Baxter with Amanda Sexton are running a year long class with very interesting material which you can read about here. Tangie says:
The beautiful thing about art journaling is the more we give to it the more it gives back to us. We gain a deeper sense of self through our creative expression. It changes us for the better, it cleanses and uplifts our spirits... Many people express concerns over what art journaling may "reveal" about themselves. But there is nothing to fear. You are amazing - the light with the dark - and the only advice I can give is to find the courage to start. You are worth it.
I couldn't agree more! Somerset Studio has a new Art Journaling magazine out and although the first magazine sold out, you can still get it in digital format. Very cool! True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling (with a nice preview over at Amazon), Collaborative Art Journals and Shared Visions in Mixed Media (also with preview), Mixed-Media Nature Journals: New Techniques for Exploring Nature, Life, and Memories (with preview), and soon to be released Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling Basics and Beyond all of these titles are from L. K. Ludwig,
and if the last is like the first three, I cannot wait.

Here's a quote from the magazine Art Journaling (from Elke Glendenning's article on "Finding Comfort Through Art Journaling").

In the spring of 2008 I was in a very dark place - my heart had been broken, dreams of a desired future destroyed, and I was lost and unsure about everything. A good friend and artist invited me over to collage. She shared her art journals with me, and I was blown away. I realized that art journaling was a way in which I could creatively document my life. I fell in love with the process of art journaling. It was easy, spontaneous, natural, and fun. It was healing.

Isn't that lovely? It seems that we have the answers right at our fingertips. We can help ourselves develop strength and resilience through art. All we need is a journal and some simple art materials. And in some cases, if we are totally digital, we may just need a computer. A little art every day will help us in SO many ways.

Morning Pages by Lani

5 comments:

Erika C. said...

Thanks, Lani. I love these ideas. It's always great to have new ideas for journaling. I am going to go look for some of these books now!

love,
Erika

ART*ticulation said...

Lani
You are such an inspiration. I admire people who journal, I love making journals but only have one journal I work in. It's my "Go To" journal, I only use it if I'm angry or stressed out. It only has about 10 spreads done in it and I have had it for a long time. I get from creating art, what you get from journaling. Thanks for all
you do and who you are!!!
Love
darlene AkA HugGeR

diane said...

Beautiful work Lani! Love the pages you shared with us here today. I am delving into journaling myself. Started with LK last year, and now on with Stephanie Lee.
LK mentioned dan price...How To Make A Journal of Your Life (which has changed my life).
I had no idea....

Diane M. McKnight, BFA, LLMSW Artist/Healing Art Guide said...

Lani, I love your pages that you shared with us today. The hand with the heart in the palm is a wonderful image...so revealing...it says "lifeline", "soul", and lots of other deep rooted feelings of connectedness and listening to our "gut" more and our brain less. I also like the idea of the ticket to memories and dreams that is open all the time. Wonderful imagery and resources. Thanks.

Lani Gerity said...

Oh you are so very welcome!