Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Putting some fragments together...

Box of Simplicity by Lani

So I was over visiting Gretchen Miller's blog, Creativity in Motion, and she had this great idea (yet again) all about how to untangle those thought-tangles which we sometimes knot ourselves us up with, a bit. She was describing feeling tangled, fragmented, and scattered (such a common way to feel these days), and wanting to do some art that would help her put the knots and fragments back together so that she would be able to move "forward with fresh eyes, a clearer head, and creative mind."

I can tell you, as I read this, I was agreeing, nodding, and I couldn't wait to see what she came up with. So here's the perfect solution. She got a batch of Tim Holtz's "Fragments", these really neat clear acrylic squares and rectangles and started collaging words from an article by Mark McGuinness about what daily meditation can do for your creativity (which, of course, is well worth reading itself!) onto her fragments; words like Focus, Patience, Calmness, Clarity, Insight, and Perspective. Nice words! Kind, clear, simple words.

Well I got excited, because I'd so enjoyed Simone Alter-Muri's art-making workshop in Dallas last fall, when we were collaging evocative words onto glass globs, as a way of embodying Roberto Assagioli's principles of Psychosynthesis and this seemed like a way of taking some of that to a new place. I like Tim Holt's "Fragments" because there are a lot in the package and they vary in size and they are lighter than glass and they are fun to arrange and re-arrange. So I printed out a 50% off coupon for Michael's this week, bought the "fragments, collaged a box, printed out some evocative words using my "faith collapsing" font, and I've started to untangle a few thought-tangles myself.

Open Box of Simplicity by Lani

This is most satisfying. You should try it! Thank you Gretchen!
Tiles of Simplicity by Lani

You will see in this video that Tim uses a special glue for his fragments, but what Simone had us use with the glass globs was glue stick, and so I've used UHU on these and so far so good!


2 comments:

nici said...

Love these; so pretty!! Thanks for sharing the ideas!

Seth said...

Love it all. Those tiles are amazing!!