Friday, April 23, 2010

Gifts in the shadows.

Here's an excellent photo from here which I added some flypaper texture to (man oh man, do I love that flypaper!)

I'm taking the most amazing Extreme Journalism class with Juliana Coles right now!  Wow, what an experience.  What a brave teacher.  She's got us heading straight into the darkest corners of our lives, which I'm certainly no slouch at creating, LOL!  So here's what I've learned in the shadows so far today:

1. I can live my life with imagination and generosity, right now.  I don't have to wait for the perfectly unclouded day.  That day may never come. AND I can learn to create joy for myself and others right now and have a great time on a cloud filled day or any other kind of day. That is the life for me!

2. Joy, imagination, generosity and creativity don't have to be expensive. In fact, the best stuff is free. A walk in the park, a smile, a hug, a kiss from my favorite Bergamasco Boys, or a kind word from a teacher or friend. Free, all free.

3. Sometimes the shadows I create have to do with thinking someone has done something wrong, or hurt me.  If I look at the life of someone I think has done me wrong and if I am in a safe place of my own, I may notice this person is suffering quite a lot.   I may notice if I look carefully that they have a shadow or two themselves.  Do I really want to get all tangled up in that unhappiness just to demand an apology or try to get them to see things my way?  Probably not.   Actually, definitely not.  In fact I could say I was wrong to try to do that. 

4.  I can be brave, defend myself, keep myself safe, and I don't have to worry about shadows.  There are actually a lot of gifts there if I am willing to face them.  What I thought was big monkey on my back was actually a gift!

No comments: