Thursday, May 20, 2010

Discovery

Collage by Lani

As part of this continuing "Postgraduate Studies" program, I decided to explore the motivations for studying what I have studied in the past.  What I discovered was this: my art therapy training, my artist and writer's life are all tied up with the questions of how the creative process works, how it helps us overcome life's challenges, why we need it, and how we can encourage it more.  These questions have been woven into everything I do.  If I think back to high school and college, those were the questions I was most interested in exploring even then.  And now as a full time "creative", these are the ideas I continue to study.  What we do with all those hours in front of the TV, so many hours in "monkey mind" nonsense, worries, anxieties, and to-do lists, couldn't they be better spent, more creatively spent, if we knew our own triggers for creative expression?  Everyone probably has different triggers, but wouldn't it be fun to make that the focus of studies, what sparks us to do our best, most creative work?  Studying THAT would be a huge spark in itself! 

Wouldn't it be fun to come accross videos, blogs, and zines that had to have a warning label about the contents may have positive creativity triggers within?

Today's challenge:  Name three of your favorite creativity triggers and create something which embodies them.  Blog or vlog it with a warning label that the contents are dangerous, may cause creativity!

2 comments:

Caity said...

oooh, I LOVE this idea!! AM thinking hard about creativity triggers now...

Lani Gerity said...

Good! Let me know what you come up with!