Wednesday, June 02, 2010

More on Brave Art



Do you ever feel the desire to create bravely but come up against that part of yourself that says do the safe thing?  I do and I'm tired of the safe thing.  So I signed up for Juliana Coles' Extreme Journalism course.  We created these wonderfully distressed altered books, filled with textures, tape, and bravery.  We started by starting, that's Juliana's idea, just jump in.  She makes it so easy.  We made tabs for our books, created work around where we came from, what we valued, where we find sanctuary, and even explored the dark bits.  Oh yes, and we could write letters of recommendation from anyone at all, and also a letter of resignation.  Wow, very liberating!  And from beginning to end we followed our own inner artist's directions, our own intuition about what needs to be expressed and how.  And finally we went though our books and found ways to weave the disparate parts together.  I am truly amazed by this course.


"What is reconciliation?" for Juliana Coles' class.

7 comments:

barbarasaintjacques said...

perfect background for those orchids.....perfect colors, perfect, perfect.... love it love, love, love it!

thicklygrownwithweeds said...

Oh, HI!
I've been enjoying your blog for a few weeks and didn't know we were in the same class!
Isn't it wonderful?!
I have small children at home with me full time so I'm not all that far along, but loving it all.
Thanks for a great blog.
~Claire

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you both, and it was a great class!

NM_Creatrix said...

Great Site, and I love the slide show. Will have to go back and look at the images, as the text was a little hard to read.

Lani Gerity said...

Oh, that was a letter of recommendation from one of my favorite human's, the Buddha. Here's what it says:

To whomever this may concern:
Here is a human expression of all that is and was and will be. Treat her well, as you would treat yourself, and good Karma will follow.
Signed,
the Buddha

Zura said...

Love how you presented your pages here. I was glad to see you in the class.

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you Zura!