Saturday, September 11, 2010

Flypapers, Layering, and How Handsome is Paul Grand, really?

Here's a little extra Photoshop "tutorial" that I created for the Fotoshop Fun course, because one of the members wanted to know how to use the beautiful FlyPaper Textures and she also wondered if Paul Grand really looked like his facebook avatar.  I'm posting it here, because I had so much fun making it, I can't keep it just for the group, lol.  So this is a little extra post on layering textures, especially  Flypaper Textures, the breathtaking work of Jill Borealnz and Paul Grand, Flickr friends, based in New Zealand and France.



So I will start with this simple example.  This little fairy creature was a digital image from Lisa's Altered Art.  I took the image just as it came, see top figure, and pulled over a texture from the Fly Edges Collection.

So here are  my screen shots, so you can see what I did.  The first one shows the texture layer on the left and the blending modes on the right.  Of course this texture layer is way smaller than it will be, I just wanted you to see the fairy under it.
Now here I've set the blending mode to "multiply" and you can see it's fairly transparent, but not quite transparent enough for my taste.  So I'll play with the opacity.

And now here it is, covering the whole image, opacity set for 76%.  Easy-peasy.

Now the real question is how handsome is Paul Grand, really?  (We know he uses photoshop, LOL!) 
And this just in from Paul: "My avatar? (The top picture)  It was 20 years ago, in 1990.  I dont look so young these days but I still have the long hair...just!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lani, you made me smile.... I am grinning from ear to ear! Thank you for the time and the joy you brought! Woo Woo, Paul is still Grand. : )) I will work on the flypaper.

William said...

Well, I for one am glad to know I'm not the only one losing his hair!

The Fly Edges Collection looks like fun.

Patti said...

thanks lani! appreciate the tutorial (edges collection looks like a good one to have!

and, thanks for the real scoop on Paul Grand - just one question - who is he??

Lani Gerity said...

OK, Patti, I fixed the first part of the blog post so hopefully who Paul Grand is might make more sense, lol!