Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Art Has No Rules...

Collage by Lani Texture Layers by FlyPaper Textures.

Over on 14 Secrets we were having the most amazing discussion.  The idea about rules in art and judgments about who brakes the "art rules" popped up.  I created the above art journal page in response to this discussion which popped up around our Journey with The Traveling Artists Guild...  Many of us were getting very exciting by the possibilities for this journey, which will include art dolls, traveling trunks, paper bag books, and little pamphlet books to go inside the paper bag books.  Some of us are nearly done with our preparations and decorations and some of us are struggling with a familiar uncomfortable feelings of comparison and judgment.   Someone mentioned that on a different art forum, there was some discussion about not following the rules, that the art work should follow certain rules.  Since when is rule following a big part of the artist's life?  Actually NOT following the rules, or being creative with the rules is more likely to be a big part of the artist's life, since playing, having fun, and creating are all about bending and altering the rules.  

I love art.  I love how I can play, how my soul can come out and find just the right thought and image and it's all SO much fun.  So here's to having discussions and here's to feeling bad about what we are doing once in a while because it will (if we are open to this) lead us to our own true self, our own true expression, which for me at this moment is all about play and fun and joy and happiness.  Hooray!

15 comments:

barbarasaintjacques said...

Bravo! Hip Hip HOORAY!!!
wonderful art journal page...love love love it.

Lani Gerity said...

Thanks Barb!

Janet Ghio said...

I love this page! the little girl on the tightfrope with her arms stretched straight out--so unafraid--love her!!

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you Janet, yes, I love her too!

paper-n-soul said...

The journal page is just perfect, Lani. I echo your hooray!

~Deb

Lani Gerity said...

Thanks Deb!

aka suska said...

Well said, my friend.

MrCachet said...

I'm here via Seth's Studioscapes, and I'd like to know if the photo of the glass in the window is yours? I'm a glass fan, especially colored glass in the shape of bottles and jars, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate your digital art, which I do. I enjoy looking at the vintage photographs, words and textures that you use in your art.

William said...

I can't tell you how much I love this collage! The blue and green are astounding!

Lani Gerity said...

Yes, MrCachet, that image was mine and you can find it here:
http://lanipuppetmaker.blogspot.com/2009/09/more-photoshop-fun-with-susan-tuttle.html

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you William!!!

darlene aKa HugGeR said...

Lani awesome page, the colors pop and she looks fearless and totally free, perfectly ready for anything life throws at her.

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you Darlene!

COSMIC ARCATA said...

This post so spoke to me, because I was thinking about "breaking all the rules." How I love to break rules. How I love to chart my own path. And I said to myself for once why don't you just accept and follow the rules....
Example:
For the little books that go inside the paper bag book, I was thinking about making it so that each book with have accordian pockets that would hold about 4 ATC card ...then at the end of the year I would have a deck of 52 cards...something I have always wanted to do.
I could still do this...but it doesn't have to be with this ...I could decide to get back in line and just play follow the leader.

It is interesting though that you are talking about what I was thinking about...I haven't read the 14 secret blog lately. Will do.

Inner Artist said...

I love your journal page, Lani. Spending precious time with my eighteen month old granddaughter, Zizi Matilda, here in Berlin is teaching me a lot about breaking the rules. Zizi & I especially love breaking the rules in the kinderpark! Sorry I haven't replied to your email at more length, Lani, but I've been a little busy getting ready to come over here to Berlin for 4 months.