Friday, October 15, 2010

Brave Art and Facing Your Giants

Dolls by Lani, photoshop texture by Kim Klassen

Have you ever found yourself deliberating whether or not to do something you know would be an experience which will help you grow and you are just at that point where you getting ready to do this thing and suddenly you don't want to?  Suddenly you discover your resistance and fear rising up?   And sometimes you can get to that point several times around one upcoming event and each time it's as though it is all new and you have to decide all over again to do this good thing...

So I had several of those experiences while preparing for our local Prospect Road Craft Fair, and I was debating (once again) whether or not I could actually be brave enough to do the fair when an eNote came into my in-box from the Brave Girls Club:
"Don't be afraid to face your giants. Don't be afraid to stand face to face, toe to toe with what is scaring you the most. Don't be afraid to pull the things that are taunting you in the darkness out into the light to see what they really are.

Our fears, our hurts and our biggest holdbacks very often lose all of their power once they are brought out into the light and to be seen for what they truly are. Many times they are simply figurative bullies, and not much more. Many times our fears have no merit, our hurts are not worth the energy we put into them, and the things holding us back most are things we have outgrown long ago.

We hold on to things for years because we let them linger and grow in the background, in the closets and deep in our hearts....when all we need to do is pull them out, take a look at them....and see if they really should hold ANY more of our energy, our brain space or any of the words that ever come from our mouth again.

It doesn't make us weak to let go of old garbage from our past...whether it's years ago or whether it was yesterday. It doesn't make us weak to forgive and forget and move on.......it is a sign of strength and character and of taking control of our own futures....our own feelings...our own place in the world.

Bring it all out into the light. It's so much nicer, sunnier, warmer, prettier and happier in the light.

Shine on, lovely friend."
So I thought, yes, I can face this giant!
I can be a part of the local craft market and I can bring my Shipwreck Doll Babies and see if they can be adopted.

And who knows I might even have fun.  So here are the dolls, much influenced by Clarissa Callesen's techniques, who is teaching at Art Fest in 2011 and has a great shop on Etsy.  (Thank you Clarissa!)

When I looked at mine I thought they looked like they'd washed up from one of Nova Scotia's many, many shipwrecks.

Could they have been a pirate's talisman, or come across on the SS Atlantic or the Titanic even?  What is the history behind these mysterious dolls?


Come to the Prospect Road Community Center tomorrow and find out!

13 comments:

mystele said...

these are absolutely incredible whether anyone adopts them or not. your art is phenomenal. but i hope someone will snatch them up!

paper-n-soul said...

Lani, your dolls are so wonderfully mysterious and lovely. I am intrigued. All the best tomorrow and, most of all, have FUN!

~Deb

Lani Gerity said...

Thanks Mystele! I know, I kind of like them and if they want to stay with me, that would be OK, LOL!

Lani Gerity said...

Thanks Deb, I'll do my best!

barbarasaintjacques said...

I love them Lani. I am not so sure that I could part with them.... however, good luck at the Prospect festivities.

Lani Gerity said...

I'm keeping two of them, Barb. Thanks for your comment!

aka suska said...

I love facing giants. That adrenaline rush somehow makes us grow, if not physically, surely mentally and spiritually. Our art evolves and I love the pirate talisman idea. You know, there may be many who would be blessed by adopting one or more of them. Good on you for being so willing to allow them that opportunity.

I have a great story I tell about a giant and a "queen/leader" who faces it down. I'll share with you through email, if you like.

aka suska said...

I love facing giants. That adrenaline rush somehow makes us grow, if not physically, surely mentally and spiritually. Our art evolves and I love the pirate talisman idea. You know, there may be many who would be blessed by adopting one or more of them. Good on you for being so willing to allow them that opportunity.

I have a great story I tell about a giant and a "queen/leader" who faces it down. I'll share with you through email, if you like.

darlene aKa HugGeR said...

First off your creative work is awesome and always has been.
Now for the other stuff, some little game I play with myself is, OK what is the worst thing will happen in the next year because of this? What about 5 years and what about 10 years?
I usually if I feel those muscles tighten up on my neck, I start working on getting THROUGH it. I will use the technique above or go to my "Go To Journal" I will do a negative page and gesso over it and re do as many times as needed, till my crap is gone! Then go creative a positive page on the opposite. Works every time. Don't sweat the small stuff cause most of it is the small stuff :>)
We have to be extra good to ourselves and know we were created awesome....so it is!!!!

I work with people that have stress over showing at the Gallery for the first time. Once that's taken care of they say what was I so worried about anyway:>)

Lani Gerity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lani Gerity said...

Thank you sussana and Darlene! Oh, my yes, I'd like to hear about the giants, and wow, Darlene, that powerful juju there! Awesome! Thank you!

Gena Hall Lumbroso said...

Wow Lani, so glad you got the brave not in your inbox?+. Kind of serendipitous I's day. Your dolls are very moving. So glad you got brave enough to offer them ;)

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you Gena!