Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winter Doldrums got you down?

 
Photoshop Collage by Lani
I took a photo of some gray ice, with white sleety pellets on top of it, under a gray sky.  I realized our particular corner of the world, lately, is full of cold, gray skies, icy hiking trails, heavy walking boots with cleats attached.  Not too much color if you look at the big picture.  Even if you zoom in there's not much color.  Here's an example, dirt with ice and tiny hale pellets.  Blah.
 So I took this blah grayness and made a texture layer with it in photoshop and started adding a bit of color and interest and I ended up with this image which I really like.  With art anything is possible!  Hooray!
 Angel from Nic0's photostream.  Thank you Nic0!! A texture from LandofNodStudios' photostream (thank you landofnod!) and one from FlyPaper Textures  as well as my own ice and sleet.

I find this principal works in life in general, not just with images.  It is the end of January.  The baby seals aren't turning up on the beaches yet.  It's not Valentine's day.  There is nothing really exciting about all of this dreariness, so I started wondering what I could do about it. I tend to explore the internet when I feel less than inspired and I usually find exactly what I'm looking for. Today it was Scoutie Girl's blog, bless her!

Not only did she have five wonderful examples of "heros of creative living" but the best part was a pdf file you could download and fill out.  That's exactly what I did and the result was that suddenly the day was exciting, funny, and most enjoyable.

Here are a few examples of the questions and my answers:

When I talk about - ? - I get excited and tend to ramble.
When I talk about - the creative process and how good it is for us -, I get excited and tend to ramble. When I talk about the things that humans need to thrive, when I talk about resilience and the study of resilience I find that I get excited and start rambling. When I talk about positive psychology and the pursuit of happiness I find I get excited. When I talk about simplicity I find I get excited. I believe it is a very good thing to ponder what gets us excited to talk or think about, or to write about it.

When I look around the room, Iʼm most drawn to -?-...
When I look around the room, Iʼm most drawn to - old books ready to alter-. There are projects on the go, and yet when I look around the room, the very old books seem to hold the most excitement. They seem to speak of their history and whisper possibilities for change. There's something lovely about transformation. There's something extremely satisfying to think about transformation. There's hope in transformation.

When I visit -?-, I feel alive. 
When I visit -an art musem-, I feel alive. When I visit other artist's studios, I feel alive. When I visit the spa, I feel alive. When I visit my local magazine and news store I feel alive. I think that all of these places open a door within that allows for new possibilities. ( My goodness, I do love these questions!)

I go to -?- when I need a little personal oomph.
I go to -my local spa- when I need a little personal oomph. If I feel draggy and I just walk in, suddenly the scent of the place is a big oomph. Really it's all about endorphins, I think. Certain things trigger endorphin production and the spa with it's the scented Aveda candles and the pleasant dim lighting is very soothing on the eyes and when the eyes are soothed the whole body relaxes and suddenly we are in a lovely personal space. And then what ever is being done, from a haircut to a massage, has such a good feeling attached to it. With good feelings suddenly you have oomph!

If all my obligations for tomorrow were suddenly dissolved, I would -?-.
If all my obligations for tomorrow were suddenly dissolved, I would -do art for 24 hours straight-. I would go book a room in a gracious old hotel, well soundproofed rooms and a great spa and then do my art making in the quiet sanctuary that I would create in my 24 hours. Hmmm. What a lovely idea. Create an art retreat if yourself with  24 hours. Fantastic! Why not?

So if you feel a little blah because you don't have baby seals crawling around on your  beaches yet, head on over to Scoutie Girl's blog and download her endorphin releasing pdf!

3 comments:

tara - scoutie girl said...

Thank you so much for sharing your answers! I'm not sure, but I really didn't expect to see how people would fill in the worksheet and I'm just pleased as punch that so many people have decided to share it.

Thanks again!
Tara - Scoutie Girl

Bill said...

I hate the winter doldrums, but I know you always come up with a way for us to keep them away. As always, your collages are wonderful! Just a little splash of color turns the mundane into magical!

Lani Gerity said...

Thank you so much Tara and Bill.