Friday, May 13, 2011

The Common Miracles Project

"Hoping for sun" with  the help of  FlyPaper Textures.

What do you do when the skies have been gray for days and most days it's just raining too hard to see what color the sky actually is?  You could sing "It's a lovely day tomorrow" but actually I'm more of a "be here now" type of person so that doesn't work for me.  What does work is actually getting into it.  Taking photos of something which embodies the feeling of the day, making some art of it!  So here's a Noah's Arc birdhouse sitting on an abandoned well in Prospect.  I love it.  Perfect.  I then I thought I could take it a bit further.

Close up of "hoping for sun" with  the help of  FlyPaper Textures.


I've been reading the lovely blog Gingerblue.com, and after some research in well-being, happiness, and even a bit of neuropsychology, Chel Micheline has come to some lovely conclusions.  She's cultivating a sense of gratitude for the small, simple things in life, and she's starting  to feel more positive feelings on a more regular basis, feelings like contentment, well-being and even relief.
There's a growing feeling that "things are okay."   During the day, she collects small, simple things that she is grateful for.  This is very similar to Seligman's 3 Blessing exercise, which you can read about here.
So I thought try Chel's idea with my blog. She wondered what would happen if a few people began to collect and share the small things they were grateful for.  She wanted to know: What small, simple things brought you comfort today? What made you feel a little more okay? Is it one thing, or ten things, or two HUGE thing or five tiny things? She's inviting us to join her in her experiment. Would you be willing to share your own list on your blog? Maybe once a week or once a month or whatever you like?  For more details see The Common Miracles Project.

My first "common miracle," my socks with  the help of  FlyPaper Textures.

I really like these socks!  They are just socks but they make me smile every time!

Jenna's herb garden with  the help of  FlyPaper Textures.

For a  little bit of happy nostalgia, I visited Jenna in our old house.  She's been cooking up a storm, as usual in her Little Red Kitsch'n.  Nothing makes me happier than to see folks doing the thing they love in the place they love!  So here's some shots from my visit.

Jenna's very full freezer with  the help of  FlyPaper Textures.
She was getting ready for the market tomorrow and I was looking for some cupcakes for dessert.
 So here's my last little common miracle: dessert.  Cupcakes from Little Red Kitsch'n!  Yum!

6 comments:

barbarasaintjacques said...

Oh those look so very good. I am salivating........

Patti said...

Brilliant, insightful, inspiring... as always. I will definitely check it out! I think maybe my most recent blog post was gratitude in some form... thanks!

Bill said...

So many wonderful miracles to choose from! But I am going to allow myself to take a break from my gluten-free diet to eat one of those cupcakes. Nothing says happiness like a cupcake! (Well, art, friends and reading blogs certainly say happiness, too, but I'm still going for the cupcake.)

Chel said...

This is so awesome! Thank you for joining in- I can't tell you how much I appreciate it :) Can't wait to read what else you post!

quinncreative said...

Those cupcakes look so yummy! And the small miracles idea is so nourishing for the soul. Also yummy!

Lani Gerity said...

Yes, indeed, the cupcakes were perfect! And I love this practice! Small joys that anyone can share, very inclusive!