Sunday, October 30, 2011

How to Occupy Our Lives

Collage by Lani for 6 Degrees of Creativity

Over at 6 Degrees of Creativity, Kristina Bell DiTullo has an inspiring workshop to teach us about Examining the Everyday for our inspiration and creative meaning.  One thing we are doing for this workshop is examining one or more social/political/cultural issues we are passionate about. We then look for images, quotes, etc. in the media and online that relate to these issues and that inspire us.

Well I got to thinking about the Occupy Wall Street movement and how inspiring I find this idea of really occupying OUR streets, our parks, our lives, our work, our art, and our very selves.   And I started wondering why this growing movement is different from previous progressive movements and so I combed through some of the material on OccupyTogether.org and OccupyWallStreet. and wondered what it would look like if I were to apply it to my life.  Here goes:

1. Be Prepared.  Make sure your sleeping bag is in good shape and that your tent doesn't leak.
2. Make sure you have some eating utensils, some toothpaste, soap, a change of clothes, and a pillow.
3. You might need a flashlight and a credit or debit card from a small local credit union type bank.
4. A cell phone with charger is a good idea.
5. Musical instruments and other creative tools to help in peaceful community building are welcome.
6. You might need a journal to write down great ideas.
7. Know what you are passionate about and want to talk about, and start sharing your ideas and listen to others' ideas.
8. Make friends with your neighbors, since they are most likely part of the 99%.  Be kind and generous to them.
9. Discuss ideas in order to arrive at consensus.  We are not alone, we are a pretty big "we" if we work at it.
10.  Help others feel free to speak up and start creating change from the bottom up.
11.  Always practice and promote non-violence.
12.  Maintain eye contact with others.
13.  Move slowly.
14. Encourage everyone to express their wishes, dreams, hopes, beliefs and fears.
15. Listen, the listening is more important than we realize.
16. Love one another.

Image from Occupy Wall Street.
I can see this could be worked into a very fun zine and or maybe an eCourse.  Hmmmm.  Let's occupy our lives!

2 comments:

sweetcheeks said...

I love your list of sharing ones life for something worth wile. I do hope it isn't necessary to have a nice warm sleeping bag and a non leaking tent. I think my son-in-law got them in the divorce. I would add humor since so much in our lives is pretty close to humorless. I can't quite figure out if we take ourselves to seriously or others take us seriously.

Lani Gerity said...

Oh, yes, humor, for sure. Yes, I'll be working on this little list some more. I do love the lessons to be gleaned from the Occupy folks, and I think some items on the list can be thought of metaphorically if not literally.

Thanks for leaving a comment, Sweetcheeks!