Sunday, June 10, 2012

Someone I admire...

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Om mani padme hum 

Collage of Dalai Lama as a child


Maureen Harvey, art therapist from Oklahoma, gave out 10 directives or prompts in her "break out session" for the Art Therapy conference in Oklahoma City.  I thought I would play with these here.  The first one is "Someone I Admire" and I chose the Dalai Lama, but I wasn't happy with all the photos we normally see.  I wanted to work with an image that would make me look twice.  I found this one of him as a child.  I wanted to put Om Mani Padme Hum on the wall next to him and also put him in unfamiliar surroundings.

Maureen suggests that we try to list all the strengths that the person we admire owns.  So of the 24 strengths I think the Dalai Lama must have all of them, as he is so very strong.  But for sure I know he's passionately curious, open-minded, loves learning new things, has a wonderful perspective, is extremely brave, persistent, unquestionable integrity, extreme vitality, very loving, kind, good with people, absolutely awesome citizen of the world, fair, excellent leader, forgiving, humble, prudent, shows amazing self-control, appreciation of beauty, grateful, hopeful, filled with humor and very spiritually focused.  The only one I didn't associate with the Dalai Lama was creativity, but if I think about it, I reckon he's got his fair share of this as well.


Maureen then suggests we look at which of these strengths we have ourselves, and we should find that what we admire most in others is a reflection of what we have within us.  Well, if not actually flowering to the degree of the one we admire, at least we can take comfort that we have the seeds within us.

Anyone want to try this prompt or challenge?  More to come!

2 comments:

An Artaholic @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

I want to play! This sounds like fun! And I am needing a good boost right now.

Unknown said...

I love the fore-shadowing of his presence on the wall behind him.