Sunday, January 19, 2014

Forgiveness as a way to have a happy life

"How do you grow your wings?" collage by Lani, textures by FlyPaper.
In my morning pages, I was playing with the question of "how do we grow our wings," how do we release the resentments of the past, so that we can fly, live a happy life, and be as creative as possible.  It seems to me like a simple math equation, if I spend energy trying to right a past wrong, that energy is not available for a possible creative act in this present moment.  So I'm thinking with a little forgiveness I could grow my wings.

#29 (out of a thousand ways to have a happy life) - Forgive.

The Greater Good Science Center at the University of Berkeley has a wonderful collection of YouTube videos.  My favorite so far is Jack Kornfield's The Ancient Heart of Forgiveness.  But this is nearly an hour long.  They have also pulled out some parts of the talk so you can listen to his guided meditation on forgiveness, or about the Buddhist concept of 12 principals of forgiveness. or who forgiveness is for.  (This last one has an amazing story in it, guaranteed to open your heart!)  Lovely!  

No comments: