Saturday, January 04, 2014

More (#23 - #27 of a thousand) ways to have a happy life

"Discover your story" collage by Lani, textures by FlyPaper.

Jane McGonigal has a new video app to help you create more well being and a happier life, SuperBetter.  I enjoy the app, but I really liked some of the information withing her TedTalk.  She started her talk about SuperBetter by focusing on the top five regrets of the dying:
1. I wish that I hadn't worked so hard.
2. I wish that I had stayed in touch with friends.
3. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
4. I wish I had had the courage to express my true self.
5. I wish I'd lived a life true to my dreams instead of what others expected of me.

She then talked about how she developed her game SuperBetter to help herself recover from a traumatic brain injury.  She was blogging about it and sharing it with some folks and discovered a link to Post Traumatic Growth.  She and fellow gamers were all feeling better and stronger for playing.  In fact she noticed that the top five traits of Post Traumatic Growth were the exact opposite of the top five regrets of the dying.  So she and her fellow gamers were discovering that the felt better and happier if they employed the following strategies, which I will number to fit into my search for a thousand ways to have a happy life:

#23 - I will find ways to add more "play time" into my life.
#24 - I will find nice ways to stay in touch with friends.
#25 - I will let myself be happy!!!
#26 - I will have the courage to express my true self a little more each day.
#27 - I will live a life true to my dreams and not worry about others' expectations.

These make a nice New Years Declaration as well! 

If you are interested in taking a post traumatic growth survey, the APA has one for you here with a list of possible traumas and if you are interested in a bibliography of post traumatic growth there's one here.

No comments: