Friday, May 23, 2014

The Possibilities of Play

"To play made her feel wonderful about life itself" collage by Lani, textures by FlyPaper.
 
 (#96 out of thousand ways to have a happy life ) 

A Fred Rogers quote/meme popped up on my FaceBook feed the other day:
"Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning.  But for children play is serious learning.  Play is really the work of childhood."
It made me wonder when play stops being the real work of humanity, if ever?  For me play is really the work of adulthood too. I certainly couldn't create or live without it.  In fact, philosopher and Professor of Law and Ethics at the University of Chicago, Martha Nusbaum, lists play as one of our inalienable human capabilities and rights.  It is our Right to Play, to be able to laugh, play, and enjoy recreational activities.  It is my 96th way out of a thousand ways to have a happy life.

AND speaking of play, here's something I'm looking forward to that is going to encourage me to play just a little more.  My friend, playmate, and fellow 14 Secrets buddy, William Charlebois, has a class coming up, “Help Heal Your Heart With Dollar Store Art,” over on http://www.purplemooseheartart.com/.  He has a very reasonable early bird special price ($10) so check it out and try play as a way of creating more possibilities for yourself!

1 comment:

Bill said...

Thank you so much for sharing the information about my class. I'm planning on sharing a link to your blog in the fourth class that will be about "connection." I'll be talking about finding muses/friends. :-)