Saturday, February 13, 2016

#128 out of a thousand ways to have a happy artists life - Try a little counter intuitive radical acceptance

 
 "Gift"  collage by Lani, textures by FlyPaper.

I was working on my morning pages while listening to a dharma talk from one of my favorite Buddhist monks, Bhante Sujato.  Suddenly my ears perked up and I had to stop and rewind the talk a tiny bit.  He said:
It is painful and difficult  (pause) 

and we shouldn’t try to pretend otherwise  (pause)

It will break your heart (long pause)

And if it hasn’t broken your heart then you haven’t started practicing.  (pause)





I had to rewind it a few times to realize he was speaking of meditation, because what I was hearing was life is painful and difficult, and we shouldn't try to pretend otherwise.  And we know life will break our hearts if we are fully engaged with it, if we are living and loving with our whole hearts.   And I am thinking that is actually the point, to allow the heart to be broken. 

It's counter intuitive to embrace the sorrow you can feel in Bhante Sujato's words.  Everything in us balks.  But if we are willing to make that leap we find we really aren't alone.  And there is a very deep sense of some sort of abiding joy in this. 

Yes, it is painful and difficult but try a little radical acceptance of that fact and see what happens.  We are all here together. 
"We are Heart Artists" collage by Lani.

1 comment:

NM_Creatrix said...

Lovely post Lani, I will take it "to heart"! And as usual, the art work is stunning!