Friday, September 23, 2016

#147 out of a thousand ways to have a happy artist's life - Go for the second wind experience

"Send Light"  collage by Lani, textures by FlyPaper.
Art therapist, Edith Kramer used to talk a lot about the Second Wind experience (an athletic idea that Montessori applied to education) in art making.  Her idea was that if we work on a piece and find that it doesn't quite work for us, step back from it to think about what we might change and then go back into it.  She was concerned that perhaps we don't give ourselves (or the people we work with) enough time to experience this. We can push through what runners call "the wall," to suddenly find the strength and inspiration to press on with what feels like a much better performance with much less effort.

In this case I looked at my "Send Light" collage, which I had already posted, and I got a sinking feeling.  Like "the wall."  But I had already posted it so I could have just left it.  But actually I was curious what it was that gave me the sinking feeling.  The "Send Light" theme seemed out of sync with the overly cluttered, messy background.  The two figures seemed out of sync with each other and the elephant didn't seem necessary in any way.  But mostly it looked dark and confusing to me, sort of the opposite of what it would look like if I actually sent "light into the heart."

 So after this exploration I went back into the collage (digitally) and changed things up, pushing past the wall and definitely finding myself working more easily with less struggle.  Encouraging the artist's second wind whenever possible can be a great way to have a happy artist's life.

"Send Light 2 "  collage by Lani, textures by FlyPaper.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Since I'm trying very hard to create physical art instead of so much digital art, I can really appreciate this. I feel like I can explore and play with digital art, but putting paint to a canvas is much more intimidating. Both forms of art cultivate a better feeling of self-worth, though. Understanding the value of creativity is a huge gift. Too many people don't experience or understand it.